Skip navigation links
About Us
Doing Business With Us
e-Services and Forms
Skip navigation links
LibrariesExpand Libraries
County GovernmentExpand County Government
Court of Common PleasExpand Court of Common Pleas
Elected OfficialsExpand Elected Officials
Fayette County > Prothonotary
Fayette County Courthouse   
Fayette County Courthouse
61 East Main Street
Uniontown, PA 15401
Telephone: 724-430-1272
         Fax: 724-430-4555
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday
  8:00 AM - 4:30 PM


Prothonotary 2016 Fee Schedule   


Other Contacts: Vicki Wheeler, Chief Deputy
Ewing D Newcomer.  Solicitor

Effective immediately, the Fayette County Prothonotary's Office will not except personal checks for payment.   

We are pleased to announce that we now offer electronic access to public records
and public information, you can search our records by clicking here.
For other county eServices like downloadable forms click here.
** The Prothonotary Office does not provide Downloadable Forms. 
Q.  Where is the Prothonotary Office located?
 A.  On the first floor of the Fayette County Courthouse located at 61 East Main St. in Uniontown PA.
Q.  How do I appeal a District Justice Judgment for money?
 A.  Individuals and businesses have 30 days from the date the judgment is entered to appeal.
     Only the initial form with basic information is provided. Once the appeal is filed, seek legal
Q.  How do I appeal a License Suspension or Registration Suspension?
 A.  Individuals have 30 days from the date of the letter from PennDot to appeal. 
     Consult legal counsel.
Q.  How do I get a satisfied lien off my credit report?
 A.  Obtain a certified copy of the satisfaction from our office and take it to or call
     the reporting agency and ask what type of identification you will need. The following
     numbers and websites are the three major credit reporting agencies.
            Equifax: 1-800-685-1111
            Experian: 1-800-397-3742
            TransUnion: 1-800-888-4213
Q.  How do I get a lien off my credit report that is not mine?
 A.  Obtain a copy of the lien from our office and take it to or call the previously listed
     credit reporting agencies.
Q. What types of liens and judgments are filed in the Prothonotary Office?
 A.  Type of Liens :                                 Types of Judgments:
     Federal Tax Liens                             Confessed Judgments
     State Tax Liens                                Default Judgments
     Municipal Liens                                 District Justice
Q. How do I change my child's last name?
 A. If the biological father's name is on the original birth certificate and the child is
    younger than 5 years old, you can complete the information on the back of the
     birth certificate and send it to the PA Vital Statistics located in New Castle, PA.
    For children over the age of 5, seek legal counsel.
Q.  How do I apply for a passport?
 A. Applications are available and can be processed at our office Monday through Friday
    from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 pm.  You may also contact the Passport Information Office at
     1-877-487-2778 or at  or call 724-656-3100.
     Please be advised that an appointment is highly recommended for
     a hand carry passport. The Prothonotary's Office reserves the right
     to deny the process of a hand carry passport on a basis of volume
     of civil work that the office is experiencing and the supply staff.
    All other passports do not require an appointment at the
     Prothonotary's Office; however, we suggest that if multiple
     Passports are needed for a family to please arrive at the
     Prothonotary's Office by 3:30 and please have the passport
     application completed prior.
Q. What year do the Naturalizations Records start in your office?   
A. Late 1700's.
Q. Can I get a certified birth certificate in the Prothonotary's Office?
 A. No. However, applications to obtain a certified birth certificate are available in this Office or you make go to  or call 724-656-3100.
Mission Statement
The Prothonotary is the Chief Clerk and Recordkeeper for all filings related to Civil Cases.  
The Office is  responsible for the filing, recording and processing of all Civil Actions, Equity Actions, Judgments, Federal Tax Liens & Local Tax Liens, City Municipal Liens, Family Court Matters, Arbitrations, License Suspension Appeals, Appeals to Higher Courts, Naturalization Searches and Applications for Passports.
The Office is also responsible for the filing and recording of all Judgments, Orders of Court and  Decrees of Court (pertaining to Divorce).
The Office issues Writs and process many other legal documents.  We review pleadings filed for compliance with Pa Rules of Civil Procedure and Fayette County Rules of Court. 
Filing fees are collected for services rendered and turned over to the County & State which makes this Office self-supporting at no cost to the taxpayers.