Marriage License Information
To apply for a Marriage License:
- You must be over the age of 18
- If you are 16-17 years of age, you must have parental consent
- If you are divorced, you must bring a copy of your divorce decree
- If your previous marriage was ended due to death you must bring a copy of the death certificate
When applying for a marriage license:
- Both parties must be present in front of the Register of Wills
- You must bring valid photo identification
The cost of a marriage license is $40.00 cash.
There is a three day waiting period once you apply for the license.
In order to apply for a marriage license both parties must appear in front of the Register of Wills before 3:30pm.
Please see that attached Disclaimer of Liability regarding marriages in Pennsylvania.
Disclaimer of Liability.pdf
Please find a list of elected officials in Fayette County that are authorized to perform a marriage ceremony.
Authorized to Marry.pdf
As of September 4, 2018 all Pennsylvania residents are required to have a certified marriage license in order to do any name changes or update a photo ID through the DMV due to the REAL ID regulations.
- Certified marriage licenses are $10 and can be requested at the same time you apply for a marriage license.
- Certified Marriage licenses that are needed for updating a photo ID are as stated above $10.
- You have the option of mailing a request with the year of marriage and both parties names with maiden name, calling and requesting a copy and we can get the information via phone call or by stopping into our office to request your certified copy.